Sunday, March 6, 2011

Operation: Fend for Yourself

My husband is running the biggest scam ever!  Let me give you the backstory: this winter my school accepted applications for chaperones for the Senior Class trip to Disney World.  Before I applied, I asked Steve if I could go - of course like a good (read: scared) husband, he told me to go ahead and apply, just as long as it was ok with me if he chaperoned his school's ski trip.  I said ok, applied and was accepted.  In the meantime...his school's ski trip was cancelled.  So, he has to watch the kids for 5 days while I'm in Disney with 300 high schoolers, and I don't have to watch the kids alone at all!  Score! Which brings me back to his scam.  I'm leaving Thursday at the ungodly hour of 2am, and returning on Monday.  His schedule is as follows:
  • Thursday: drop kids off at my parents, go to work, pick up kids from daycare, drop them back off at my parents in the evening.
  • Friday: go to work, drive up to the lake for skiing with my dad
  • Saturday: more skiing
  • Sunday: drive home, see the kids, put them to bed.  drink beer.
  • Monday: drop off kids at my parents, go to work.  Since I'll be getting home during the day, I'll probably pick them up.
Rough gig, right? He only has to watch them for probably a combined 5 hours (not including sleep).  He'll probably manage to get in a free dinner at someone's house on Sunday as well, not that I can blame him.  The man could be the next President of the United States with the logistics it took to pull this off! I have to give him credit for that! If left at home, I probably would have just watched movies and ordered Papa Johns!

Which brings me to this week's Pantry Raid menu.
  • Monday: Meatless Monday! I'm trying this recipe for Stuffed Eggplant Steaks, since I had everything except the eggplant and the ricotta in the house. I might do pasta with olive oil & garlic on the side, but it looks pretty hearty, so it might not be necessary.
  • Tuesday: It's Fat Tuesday, so we'll be going to Nonna's for "Cutta Di Yeg." She swears it's an Italian thing you do the night before Ash Wednesday. I think it's an "I grew up on the tippity top of a village with a total population of 45 people, 7 dogs, 35 chickens, and 1 priest" thing.  Regardless, she's cooking and I'm eating so I'll go along with the story.
  • Wednesday: I will be at a doctor's appointment with Will, then Disney luggage check, so Steve is making Trader Joe's Organic Spinach and Feta pizzas, courtesy of our freezer.
  • Thursday-Monday: Steve can figure it out! He's the one who got me into the pantry raid, so I'm excited to see what kinds of crazy recipes he makes.  I feel like there's probably alot of sandwiches in the future!
My menu for Thursday-Monday is as follows:
Everyone knows that Disney World has the best popcorn:

And as an homage to my father, I'll have one of these (ears ALWAYS consumed first):

And finally, on Saturday night, I'll be at Teppan Edo in Epcot for hibachi! I never can catch that damned zucchini in my mouth though...But I feel like when you're at the Happiest Place on Earth, they let you keep trying until you get one!

What is your favorite Disney treat?  I'll have one, then gloat!







1 comment:

  1. Steve had dinner brought to him on Sunday night...baked mac & cheese, chicken, salad. Berries for dessert--will killed the berries!

    ReplyDelete