Thursday, March 17, 2011

Basketball & Beads

Let me first acknowledge that today is St. Patrick's Day.  I'm Italian, so I'm not celebrating.  Personally, I think corned beef and cabbage is in the top 5 grossest meals ever, so I definitely wasn't even considering making a traditional St. Paddy's Day meal.  That said, I didn't shop this week, so we had to make do.  I found a roll of refrigerated pizza dough, I had some leftover organic pasta sauce in the fridge, and we had 1/4 of a bag of shredded cheese and some string cheese in the fridge that I chopped up...Voila!  Pizza!  I always try to put veggies on our pizza in the hopes that we can sneak some into Will's belly, so I sauteed a red bell pepper with some italian seasoning, salt, pepper, garlic and green onions and put that on the pizza as well.  Unfortunately, it was late, Will was fussing because he was hungry, so we ate without taking pictures first.

Things I learned from this meal:
1) I should make pizza more often. It's really not hard at all, and usually I'm just as satisfied as I would have been from ordering out.
2) I heart veggies on pizza, even more than sausage or pepperoni.  This is a tell-tale sign of being old.
3) Will was not, in fact, hungry.  He has just completed the transition from normal toddler to professional malcontent.  He ate a clementine for dinner. That's right, a single mini tangerine. But he didn't seem upset about it, so I guess he'll eat at some point.

On an aside, I LOVE March Madness. It is my favorite time of year.  I love it even more than Christmas because there are no obligations one has to meet when it's March Madness.  Of course, I filled in my bracket.  Usually I spend hours and hours researching, then I fill out the bracket based on average picks of ESPN analysts.  I typically finish in the bottom five in the pool. This year, I decided not to research, and to pick teams based on the following criteria:

1) whether I like the team.  For example, I hate Penn State.  I don't know why, I just do.  So I'm not picking them. I also don't like Cincinnati, because I believe it's a coach's job to actually get players to graduate. They aren't doing so hot in that department.  So I'm basing my picks on prejudice and personal opinion.  We'll see how it goes.
2) If stuck after criteriom one, I chose based on uniform color.

I feel confident that I can't possibly finish worse than last year. I'll keep you updated. So far I'm 5 for 7.

One last thing, earlier this week I mentioned that we went to a fundraiser at Alchemist and Barrister.  My cousin Dan gave Will some mardi gras beads which he is now obsessed with and MUST wear everywhere we go.  Here's evidence:
This is five minutes before he freaked when we took them off for his bath. If the Village People was like Menudo and swapped out members once they got too old, Will would be their next big star.  He also dances around the house with them on, which just cracks me up every time I see it.  The beads might get "lost" overnight.  It depends if I remember and whether he decided to sleep with them on.

Tomorrow's Meal: Hibernian Fish & Chips (aka. How to be a Good Catholic for Dummies).

See you tomorrow!

1 comment: