Thursday, March 24, 2011

Mother of the Year!

In the last 2+ years, I have had a number of what Steve and I call "Mother of the Year!" moments.  For example, when I dropped Emma on her head at the pediatricians office (don't go calling DYFS, it was only like 6 inches off the ground), or anytime Will acts like a lunatic in Target and I buy him off with goldfish crackers.  A "Mother of the Year" moment basically rewards parental behavior that you know isn't good, but you do it anyway. Luckily, ours have been relatively few and far between.  Well, just when I had forgotten about those moments, today we had another one, and it was, of course, food related.

One of my least proud parental moments involves Dunkin Donuts.  We have one in our ShopRite and Will always goes grocery shopping with me on Sunday mornings, and in order to get through the trip, I buy him a donut.  This became a whole thing when I realized that every time Will saw a Dunkin Donuts store, coffee cup, bag, etc. etc. he would point at it and shout "that! That! THAAAT!" at the top of his lungs, letting everyone in a 10 mile radius know that he knew the Dunkin logo.  I've never been prouder of myself as a parent (can you read the sarcasm?!?).  Well, I've actually been proud of the fact that he knew DD and not McDonald's, but it seems that time has come to an end.

Today after work I had meetings for prom locations with my class council and then on the way home I stopped for McDonalds.  Steve and Will were eating lasagna I made while I was home today (our babysitter was sick - feel better Joni!) for dinner, so I knew they were taken care of.  Well, I got home and Will pointed right at the McDonald's bag and said "I want THAT." How he knows that McDonald's is delicious, I do not know. He's had it maybe twice in his entire life and both times he rejected it (an obvious rookie mistake good decision).  Well, I guess he learned somehow because according to Steve 20 minutes previously he declined the lasagna (by "declined" I mean refused to eat even a single bite), and when I got home he proceeded to eat half an order of fries and 2 chicken selects. It was like we had been starving him for the past 2 years.  He couldn't stuff the food in fast enough. Here's the evidence:

Dipping the chicken in sweet & sour sauce (clearly the best nugget dip)

Shoveling the food in:

Not my proudest moment.  So, just when you think you're feeding your family as many fresh, organic, whole grain, whole foods, McDonald's jumps up and steals your thunder. Sigh. Tomorrow he's going to eat a vegetable if it kills me, and that vegetable will NOT be genetically modified potatoes.  Mother of the Year!

1 comment: