Monday, March 21, 2011

Fish isn't Meat, right?

So today was supposed to be Meatless Monday, but that was a no go.  I defrosted chicken this past weekend to make Bisquick Sesame Chicken Strips, which I had planned on making on Saturday.  But I felt like crap all day and Steve ended up going out for a man date with my Dad, so it didn't get cooked.  Then in a coup that was staged at Jo-Jo's during sed man date, Steve and my Dad conspired to make corned beef and cabbage dinner plans at my parents' house for Sunday night.  Bottom line: the chicken had to get cooked today.

The problems were: a) Chicken isn't vegetarian, and b) when I smelled the chicken it just wasn't right and I wasn't about to chance an entire family with food poisoning so I just axed the entire dinner.  Instead we had battered fish filets and potatoes o'brien.  Actually, we only had enough potatoes for one person, so I made Steve eat the leftover fried rice from last week.  So I guess it wasn't technically "Meatless Monday," but it wasn't exactly "Meat-ful Monday" either.

Here's the menu for this week:
Monday: Rancid chicken. Battered Fish Filets & O'Brien Potatoes.

Tuesday: I have the stuff to make both sloppy joes and this awesome pasta with pine nuts, broccoli, butter and balsamic vinegar. It is randomly from People magazines "Cooking with the Stars" column, and Nicole Kidman is credited with making it.  I'm reasonably sure that her chef probably makes it and not her, but it's delicious anyhow. I'll try to remember to post the recipe because it is that good.

Wednesday: Either the pasta or the sloppy joes- whichever I don't make on Tuesday.

Thursday: We'll probably have leftovers. I have appointments after school for prom locations and I won't be home until at least 5:30 and you know Steve isn't cooking.

Friday: Who knows? It's Lent so either Fish & Chips or Pizza.  Boo for no burgers and beer on Friday nights, but if that's what it takes to go to heaven, then I'm in.

Here's a cabinet update- here is how our pantry looked before Week 1:

Here it is now:

Here's the freezer before Week 1:

Here it is now:

Yes, that's vodka.

I'm not showing you the fridge because it's packed with stuff but that's because almost everything we've bought in the last three weeks is perishable and goes in there.

Also, in the last three weeks we've spent a total of about $160 on groceries(!) and almost all of it was either fresh produce or stuff for the kids like milk and yogurt.  Here's to saving money!

Because there is popular demand for more Emma, here she is wearing Will's beads.

See you tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment