Monday, February 28, 2011

Day One: The Back of the Freezer

For the last 8 months, I've had a batch of Giada DeLaurentiis' sundried tomato and basil pesto. I heard that pesto freezes well (ok, I didn't really :hear: that...one of the Top Chef contestents mentioned it one season - the episode where Casey and Dale win the Bertolli challege with Rocco DiSpirito - why do I remember that?), so this summer when we were getting bushels of basil, I decided to make some pesto & freeze it.  It's been sitting in the back of the freezer ever since.  So when we needed a Meatless Monday recipe, I turned to the freezer burned tupperware in the WAY back of the freezer. I warned Steve that it might not be good, but he told me to proceed, so operation  boil water began.

Surprisingly, it was great!  We had rotini with the pesto, fresh grated parmesan, cucumbers and balsamic vinaigrette (Shout out to Bob Bruschi!) and garlic toast (Is there an italian meal that doesn't require garlic toast?)  Here's how it looked:


Will has been on a food strike recently (we think he is channeling his inner Gandhi.  If he starts walking towards the beach to collect salt, we're calling the doctor), and he gobbled it up! 


He ate so much, that we decided to treat him to dessert, which is a RARE treat in our house.  I'm happy to announce that he very much enjoyed his first s'more!  Despite the picture evidence below, he did actually get some into his mouth.


Steve liked them too:



Not to be forgotten, Emma just hung out laughing at all the stickiness:

Unlike James Franco & Anne Hathaway's Oscar hosting, I think I can classify our trip to the back of the freezer as a success!  As for tomorrow, we will be taking a trip to Greece - OPA! - with Lazy Greek Chicken!  Am I lazier than the recipe? Will we end up eating boxed macaroni & cheese instead?  Stay tuned!


1 comment:

  1. if steve eats like that all the time, i think you can devote a blog to his bad manners!!!

    mike

    ReplyDelete