Sunday, April 10, 2011

Eeeewwww!

Anyone that knows me knows that I have been concerned about Will's speech.  He doesn't have a ton of words and he has some issues with articulation, but tonight, I learned that he has a new word!  The word: Ewwwwww!  How do I know this, you ask?  I know, because just after he put a big bite of his dinner in his mouth, he made a face like I was forcing him to eat a sweat sock, and then he spit it all out, and yelled, "Ewwwwwww!"  If I thougtht that dinner was great, I would have been insulted, but to be honest, he hit the nail right on the head. 

In case you want to torture your family, here's the recipe I made tonight: Sesame Shrimp and Noodles. I was so excited about this all week, and I encountered the following culinary roadblocks:
1) The recipe only serves one.  Who the heck makes a recipe that serves 1 person?!?  Even single people eat leftovers, or like to entertain!  Because of this, I had to multiply the recipe by 8 since I had a pound of pasta.  Ridiculous!
2) Since I multiplied by 8, I had to use a 1/2 cup of soy sauce, and a 1/2 cup of toasted sesame oil.  Both are seriously strong!  I used low sodium soy and it was still really salty.
3) Here was the final product:
Doesn't it kind of look like worms?  Now, I forgot to buy scallions, so there should have been some green on the plate, but even with it, it just doesn't look appetizing at all!
4) Since we are eating organic-ish, I've been buying the foods on the "Dirty Dozen" in their organic varieties. Steve supports me in this, so long as everything gets eaten, which it typically does. Take a look at those yellow peppers. They cost $6.99/pound! I died a small death when we threw out all the leftovers.

The unfortunate result of this culinary misadventure: Steve (aka. the trash compactor) was so hungry that he declared that it wasn't "that bad" (not every wife gets showered with these kinds of compliments!  Thanks honey!), and he ate 2 servings.  After his declaration, Will wouldn't get near his plate and ended up having a dinner of a banana and half a kiwi fruit (Mother of the Year!).  I fed Emma instead of eating the worm noodles and just finished my real dinner, a bowl of Cookie Crisp.  The real winner tonight was Emma who got to have freeze dried yogurt bits and pea puree. Who'd have thunk it?

I'm just so disappointed since the recipe looked good and I had such high hopes.  On the menu this week: spicy stromboli, chipotle and cheddar burgers, and Disney World Ohana chicken wings. I guess there's nowhere else to go but up this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment