Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Chesterfield's Most Wanted

When I went to Disney this past March I was warned not to come home with any tchotchkes.  I didn't buy any Mickey ears or t-shirts that say "Leave me Alone, I'm Grumpy" (get it? Like Snow White?!?) on them.  Instead, I ended up coming home with 2 items: 1) a mug for Steve that made me laugh out loud.  It's of Tinkerbell and I think it's really just supposed to be funny because she didn't get enough sleep and needs coffee, but with my sick sense of humor all I could think was that Tinkerbell looked like she was right out of the trailer park.  Here's a picture:


I knew Steve would also appreciate the joke, so I bought it.  He did.  We're probably the only 2 people in the world who think it's hilarious that Tinkerbell looks like she's straight out of a doublewide in Neverland Park Adjacent, but that's why we're made for each other.

The second item was a cookbook: Chef Mickey.  It's full of recipes for all the great foods in the parks: the Sticky Toffee Pudding from the Rose & the Crown at the British Pavilion in Epcot, the Cheddar Cheese soup from Le Cellier in Canada, you get the point. So tonight I decided to make the Ohana Coriander Chicken Wings from the Polynesian Resort.

Here's the recipe:
Ingredients for the Wings:
  • 1 Tbsp. salt
  • 2 Tbsp. paprika
  • 2 Tbsp. sugar
  • 1/2 tsp. EACH: black pepper, turmeric, ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
  • 4 Tbsp. vegetable oil
  • 4 pounds chicken wings
Ingredients for the Wing Sauce:
  • 1 Tbsp. chili powder
  • 1/2 tsp. ground ginger
  • 1 Tbsp. ground coriander
  • 2 Tbsp. lime juice
  • 1/2 cup soy sauce
  • 1 cup honey
  • 3/4 cup water
  • 2 Tbsp. cornstarch.
Here's what you do for the wings.
1. Preheat the oven to 500 degrees.  Line a baking sheet with foil.
2. Combine all chicken wing ingredients except chicken in a large glass bowl.  Add chicken and toss to coat.
3. Spread the seasoned wings on the baking sheet and roast until browned, about 35 minutes.
4. To serve, toss with wing sauce.

While the wings are baking, make the sauce. It couldn't be easier - combine all the wing sauce ingredients in a small saucepan over medium-high heat.  Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally, until liquid reduces to a syrup, about 5 minutes.  Remove from heat and keep warm. Then toss the sauce and the wings together, and you're done!

I didn't take a picture, because, let's face it, chicken wings don't look pretty, but they were pretty tasty. I don't know if I would make the wing sauce again, it was a little salty for me, but the wings themselves were seasoned perfectly, and I definitely would use the spice rub again for when we BBQ chicken in the summer.  All in all, a success (especially after my sesame noodle fiasco!)!

Just because I think it's really funny, this weekend we were at a party for my grandmother's 80th birthday and my police officer cousin Dan let Will walk around with his handcuffs.  We managed to snap a picture:
I full on intend on using this to torture him someday.  I just love the look on his face - like it's his mugshot after being caught on a toddler no-nap bender of too much milk and finger painting. Priceless! Bad boys, Bad Boys, Whatcha Gonna Do...
Later!

No comments:

Post a Comment